Sunday 2 October 2011

Busy bee

or Twitter shall I say? Well well Billy. You don't believe how Mummy is addicted to Twitter. Your Daddy is feeling a bit left out. He does support Mummy a lot. Mummy is lucky. Your sister turned 13 last week and we had 5 of her friends came for a sleepover. They had fun. It's so good to see your sister has many friends. Your big brother is well, he is enjoying school. Although he loves playing on the new PC we have now. Not only him, Mummy is on it quite a bit too. Saying that your baby sister is still young and nappies, naps, bibs and bottles ... seem to be Mummy's day-to-day things. Mummy loves having her just like having all of you, really. She is the smiliest of all. I'm sure you are watching us and see her smiling all the time. Mummy still feels you sent her to us. Mummy is going to put a photo of your sister here. Now Mummy is ready to show who she is and do things more openly. That's why Mummy has a website now. Your Daddy helped to put it together and Mummy is going to put more light-hearted things on it. See, you changed Mummy. Losing you made Mummy braver and she wants to make the most of what we have now.

People won't understand it that easily, unless they experienced similar loss. We had a lovely birthday cake on your sister's birthday and put yours in front of your photo. It's nice to do that, but it's so so so sad. Mummy so wishes you were here. My red-headed angel boy. We miss you so much. We, including your 6-year-old brother go silent for a few minutes swallowing our tears and pull ourselves together. Mummy wrote few lines to raise awareness about Down syndrome and the term 'Mongol.' People casually throw it in their daily conversation. How ignorant.

Mongol

You can call me Mongol
Because I am.
But please don’t call someone with Down’s Syndrome ‘Mongol’ or ‘Mongo.’
You will hurt not only me but many

‘Billy’ we called our little boy when he was born
‘Buuz’ I named him when he came home
My baby was a Mongol not because he had Down’s Syndrome
But because his mummy is Mongolian

You can call me Mongol
Because I am.
But please don’t call someone with Down’s Syndrome ‘Mongol’ or ‘Mongo.’
You will hurt not only me but many

1 comment:

  1. Michelle Murphy2.10.11

    Hi there, how strange I am a member of alot of down syndrome groups. One of my friends thought that Steven fry's sister had a child with down syndrome. As there was a program on about him tonight. So I googled it. And your blog was the first post that came up. I actually live in south Ayrshire myself. On the 25th of march 2009 my daughter poppy was born with Down syndrome at crosshouse hospital. I also have a little boy who is 10 months old when I was pregnant with my son. I went for my scan and one of the midwives said she remembered when poppy was born and advised me there was two other babies born with Down's in 2009. So Poppy and Billy must have been two out of the three children born that year with DS. How strange that your blog came up. I hope you dont mind me commenting here. Billy is absolutely beautiful. Sending lots of love and hugs.
    Michelle and Poppy. Xxx

    ReplyDelete